Friday, June 1, 2012

Making Something from Mistakes

I'd been craving oatmeal cookies for a while, so I decided to finally take the time to make a batch. I found a recipe that looked good...then I found another....and a recipe for baked oatmeal that looked really yummy. I must have had 6 or 8 tabs open.

I found a good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I decided to give it a whirl. I started measuring everything out and realized that something was wrong when I saw that the recipe called for 2 cups of milk.

Crap.

I scroll up the page and see that I had been following the baked oatmeal recipe. Oops.

Hubs already said that he wouldn't eat baked oatmeal. I couldn't just throw it all out, so I found the correct recipe and started making adjustments.

I'm reminded of when I met Hubs. I was a broken heap of a mess at that time. I had gotten out of a miserable marriage and had recently had a failed rebound romance. I was living in my old bedroom at my parents' house with my 3 year old and all of our belongings. And I was two months away from being laid off from the job I'd had for almost nine years. I still don't know what Hubs saw in me that made him want to stick around, but I'm grateful that he did.

Heal Your Heart Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Cinnamon Spice Blend
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. In a larger bowl, mix dry ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment